This is a picture I just love. It shows my grandmother Alice Cook and grandfather Barnes gardening at their home in Cedar Valley. I don't know who the others are but I believe the girl is my mother's sister Edris. Most pictures I find are posed but I love the pictures showing their daily activities. Gardening was a family affair, This picture was taken around the time of the depression. My mother always told me they didn't get hurt by the depression as much as others because they grew their own food. Grandpa raised cattle and I believe they had their own milk cow. My grandfather was in charge of giving out government slips of paper that would allow people to receive government help but my mother said they never had to use the aide. It's probably a good lesson to learn as we are facing a recession and possibly depression again.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Another Priceless Find
This is a picture I just love. It shows my grandmother Alice Cook and grandfather Barnes gardening at their home in Cedar Valley. I don't know who the others are but I believe the girl is my mother's sister Edris. Most pictures I find are posed but I love the pictures showing their daily activities. Gardening was a family affair, This picture was taken around the time of the depression. My mother always told me they didn't get hurt by the depression as much as others because they grew their own food. Grandpa raised cattle and I believe they had their own milk cow. My grandfather was in charge of giving out government slips of paper that would allow people to receive government help but my mother said they never had to use the aide. It's probably a good lesson to learn as we are facing a recession and possibly depression again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
John and I were just talking about how we need to plant a garden this year. We will be calling to get step by step instructions! I love the picture!
Those are really cool pictures!
Post a Comment