
Dad has completed his next painting. I believe this might be my favorite so far because it is a painting of my Grandma & Grandpa Cook's home. I spent many many hours playing at this house on hot summer days and very cold winter days. That bench that sits on the front porch was always there in my memory. When you entered the front door you were in the front room where a large dinning room table was in the middle of the room with soft comfortable chairs around the the wall. There was a coal stove also in that room where we use to place our wet gloves and boots after a sled ride from one end of Ceder Valley down to the low side. We could ride our sleds down the road for about 5 blocks. I use to walk from the back of the house through a field to go to Sharon's (Bell) house. Sharon and I were the same age so I loved playing with her every time I went to Grandma's house. After entering the front door of the home there was a bedroom door on the left going in to my Grandmother's bedroom. The main windows on the left are their bedroom windows. It was always freezing in that room but I loved going in there with grandma. Several years ago I wrote a poem about this house so I am going to post it.
A little bit of heaven
in this old house was found,
for all were greeted warmly
it's clear that love abound.
I have so many memories
as I walked between those walls,
the smell, the feel, the laughter
all these I do recall.
For grandma she was always there
her image my mind has etched.
With apron on she whistled
as she baked, washed dishes, fetched.
Grandpa a story he could tell
cracked walnuts and danced a jig
he often talked of politics
to me he seemed so big.
Inside these walls flood memories
baked cookies, fresh bread, bottled meat.
A frontroom toasty, warmed with coals
these precious memories oh so sweet.
The bedroom cold to save the heat.
The deer hung on the wall.
These things are all but memories
that I do now recall.
As a child I felt important
each time I looked to see
my picture hung upon the wall
on a branch of the "Big Family Tree".
Yes, a little bit of heaven
in this old house was found
and even though the house is gone
it's earth is Holy Ground.
Arlene Heiner 1997
3 comments:
Thats awesome mom - thanks for the update. -JD
I love the painting, and the poem! Rachel
The painting is beautiful!!! You are a poet Arlene! Love you!
Post a Comment